Trying to up your Instagram game?
If you’re looking for the best place for selfies — or even family portraits — on Hilton Head Island, we’ve got you covered.
We’d argue that Hilton Head is one of the most scenic places on the East Coast. From the white sand beaches to the moss-covered Live Oak Trees to the iconic Harbour Town Lighthouse, there are plenty of places on the island that work as stunning backdrops.
The entire resort is pretty breathtaking, so you’d be fine taking a photo almost anywhere. However, there are a few places in Sea Pines that really stand out:
- The Harbour Town Lighthouse: The lighthouse itself works as a great — and super iconic — backdrop to any photo or selfie. However, if you want to make your selfie a little more epic, climb to the top of the lighthouse and take a selfie with a view.
- The Harbour Town Pier: The pier was recently reconstructed and offers gorgeous views of the lighthouse and marina. Pro tip? Try to take your photos on the pier around sunset.
- Red rocking chairs: Sit your family in the red rocking chairs in Harbour Town for a fun family photo!
- Lawton Stables: Head to Lawton Stables, where you not only can take some awesome photos with the horses, but you can also sign up for a trail ride.
- Sea Pines Forest Preserve: The forest preserve is full of beautiful trails and boardwalks that are perfect as backdrops. You might even get an alligator in the background (just make sure you keep your distance!). If you want to really explore the forest preserve, rent some bikes to take on the trails!
Rent a boat or kayak
If you want truly epic photos, rent a boat or kayak and get out on the water. Not only can you take some awesome selfies, but you’ll have a chance to get up close with the wildlife — especially in a kayak. If you’re lucky, you can see dolphins, and occasionally even manatees and sea turtles if you’re out in the summer.
Don’t feel like driving a boat or paddling a kayak on your own? Take a dolphin tour or sunset cruise instead.
Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina
You can catch gorgeous sunsets at Shelter Cove Marina, and there are plenty of shops and restaurants to visit while you’re there. If you want a photo with something other than the marina itself in the background, take a photo with the King Neptune statue!
Waterfront bars & restaurants
Want to have a delicious meal or cocktail to go with your photo session? Dine-in at one of the island’s many waterfront restaurants or grab a drink at a waterfront bar. Most of these bars and restaurants also feature live music. Some options include:
- Skull Creek Boathouse
- Skull Creek Dockside
- Old Oyster Factory
- The Salty Dog
- The Crazy Crab
- The Quarterdeck
- Sunset Grille
- ELA’s on the Water
- Tiki Hut
Finally, the most obvious place for a backdrop is the island’s 12 miles of white sand beaches. While the sun doesn’t set over the water, you can still get great lighting and gorgeous skies during sunsets at the beach. But, if you can get yourself up early enough, you can’t beat a sunrise at the beach.
Sunrise or sunset are always great times to take photos — lighting really matters! If you try to take photos in the middle of the day on a sunny beach, you’ll probably end up with some pretty washed-out photos.
There are plenty of backdrops all over the island that aren’t necessarily tied to a specific place. You can find Live Oak Trees dripping with Spanish Moss all over the island — and, of course, plenty of palmetto trees.